Can be started at any time
$1,255 (Easy-pay plan available)
Approximately 6-12 months
- Study Option
- Home Study
- AQF Level
- Entry Requirements
- 18 years old or over
- 10 practical assignments
- The Australian Academy of Interior Design is recognised by the International Approval and Registrations Centre (IARC).
Completing this course will enable you to become an interior designer by developing the skills to create, present and deliver your own design projects.
The course covers fundamental techniques and develops these into more advanced skills. No minimum qualification is required.
Designed around 10 practical assignments, you will incrementally develop the techniques and an understanding of the industry that you need to succeed as an interior designer.
As a home study student you will have full access to our student area, the Online Learning Centre, which contains course material created by industry experts including: instructional videos, written content and assignments.
Our tutors provide all the support, knowledge and in-depth feedback you need to progress through your course and are always contactable through the Online Learning Centre.
On average a student studying around 15 hours per week can complete the course in 12 months, a student studying around 30 hours a week can complete the course in 6 months*
*Completion time is based on the approximate time it has taken past students to complete the course. Students have up to 36 months to complete the course.
The list below provides an overview of the topics covered in this course.
Presenting Interior Designs
Learn how interior designers develop ideas and present them to clients. Examine different presentation methods and produce a range of visuals for a client's living room. Learn about:
- Researching interior design practice in the past and present
- Client briefs
- Site surveys
- Technical drawings
- Sample boards
- Designing visuals for client presentations
The Design Cycle
Create designs for a studio apartment and learn about the stages of the design cycle - a structured approach to project development from initial idea to completed design. Learn about:
- Interpreting a client brief
- Developing, selecting and testing ideas
- Techniques for spatial planning, model making and rendering
- Creating a design portfolio
- Colour rendering
- Evaluating client feedback and reviewing designs
Cultural Movements in Interior Design
Examine how society, history, technology, economics and culture influences interior design practice. Complete a research project to learn about key historical movements in interior design. Learn how to:
- Use research methods
- Analyse key movements in history
- Develop key insights about contemporary design influences
- Present research findings professionally
3D Techniques in Interior Design
Examine the properties, suitability and application of different materials for use in a large kitchen design. Create a portfolio of 3D visuals and models using techniques that are central to interior design practice. Learn how to:
- Design a residential kitchen
- Examine furniture fixtures and equipment
- Explore different materials and how they are used
- Create 3D visuals and scale models
- Examine health and safety issues in residential design
Develop timelines, diagrams and templates for a workflow system that support the installation of a studio apartment design. Learn how to:
- Identify the sequence of activities needed to complete an installation
- Understand the relationship between design activities, time and resources
- Apply a workflow system to respond to challenges
- Develop a template workflow system for future use
All our tutors are interior design professionals working in the industry.
I would recommend this course to anyone interested in interior design… and I have actually. I felt like an interior designer from the very first assignment!
I didn’t find it difficult to motivate myself because I absolutely loved the work. It’s been life changing - it’s been really great for me.
It is a really good course. You cover so much content and you can continue your studies if you wish to specialise.
The Australian Academy of Interior Design
Our philosophy at the Australian Academy of Interior Design is to make high-quality education accessible to all by empowering people to do what they love. Through the power of online and blended learning, our students are able to harness their creativity and practically apply it to succeed in their chosen careers.
Pursue your ambition - because the future is today!Learn more